Tuesday, June 1, 2010

judging people by their books


Npr had a review of Meghan Daum's Believers online with this exert of dialogue:


"Did you take a look at her idiotic books?"

"No," Karla lied.

"It was all 'How to Read Palms' and diet books."

"Well, you don't love someone because of the books they read."

"Don't you?"

I think that's exactly why you love someone? I mean certainly personalities are compatible for all sorts of reasons, but what really excites me about - sparks my curiosity about or affinity for - others are those peeks into their psyche that are subtly hinted at by books more than anything. TV shows must have such mass appeal that you only get broad stroaks about a personality by their choices. I am rather ignorant when it comes to movies...and, well a movie collection is less accessible (important?) than a library.

(The Rijk Museum in Amsterdam (here))

No comments:

Post a Comment