Monday, April 5, 2010

my boss just got an iPad


I came across this article in the New York Times today about e-books and the book jacket. I don't know why it's never really crossed my mind, but with the iPad and Kindle and whatever else, we're losing the beauty of a real live book.

I haven't expended much energy thinking about it because, well, I figured I'd just always chose a physical book. My relationship with words on a page is never really going to be in jeopardy.

But (gasp) I forgot about changes rocking the communal aspect of reading. Reading off a uniform electronic tablet eliminates personality, eliminates recognition, eliminates inspiration, eliminates the spread of a good read that's often excited by a quick glance.


I guess we'll see.



(here and here)



No comments:

Post a Comment